The Environment Committee examines all aspects of the capital’s environment by reviewing the Mayor’s strategies on air quality, water, waste, climate change and energy. The committee looks at what additional measures could be taken to help improve the quality of life for Londoners and investigates topics ranging from airport expansion and burst water mains, to noise from the Night Tube and the environmental impacts of plastic water bottles.
Air pollution in London
The Committee continues to add to its extensive body of work around the topic of air pollution.
The Committee is investigating the management of London’s green spaces, at a time when funding is decreasing and sustainability is key.
The Committee is investigating aspects of London's waste generation, handling and disposal.
- In July, the Committee published its report, 'Park life'. The report looks at what measures should be taken to protect and improve the capital’s green spaces.
- The Committee responded to the latest ULEZ consultation at the end of June.
- The Committee published its response to the national Air Quality Plan consultation in June..
- In May, the Committee responded to the draft Aviation National Policy Statement.
- The committee questioned representatives from Thames Water, among other guests, about sewage leaks into the Thames and its tributaries as well as incidents of flooding caused by burst water mains.
- The committee published its report, 'Getting Warmer' in May. The report examines what the Mayor can do to reduce domestic carbon emissions and fuel poverty in the capital.
- In April, the Committee published its report, 'Bottled Water' which examines the environmental impacts of plastic water bottles and makes recommendations to reduce the effects.
- Park life: ensuring green spaces remain a hit with Londoners - 5 July 2017
- Response to the national Air Quality Plan consultation - 15 June 2017
- Response to the draft Aviation National Policy Statement - 25 May 2017
- Getting Warmer: The Mayor’s role in domestic energy and fuel poverty - 2 May 2017
- Bottled Water - 13 April 2017
Feedback and news coverage
Contact the Environment Committee
If you have a media enquiry relating to the Committee please contact:
External Relations Officer:
020 7983 4603
If you have a query about the Committee and its work please contact:
Scrutiny Manager - Ian Williamson, [email protected], 020 7983 6541
Committee Officer - Clare Bryant, [email protected], 020 7983 4616
To speak to the Mayor's Office about environmental issues, please contact: 020 7983 4000