The Mayor's long term strategic aim is to make half of all new homes in London affordable, he intends to acheive this by:
- investing more in affordable housing
- bringing forward more public land for affordable homes
- increasing the amount of affordable housing delivered through the planning system
The new London Plan is currently being developed and will incorporate this aim. A consultation draft of the new London Plan will be published in Autumn 2017. In the meantime, the Affordable Housing and Viability Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG) consultation draft provides guidance to ensure that existing policy is as effective as possible.
The main aims of the SPG is to:
- increase the amount of affordable housing delivered through the planning system
- embed the requirement for affordable housing into land values
- make the viability process more consistent and transparent
It will also ensure that development appraisals are robustly and consistently scrutinised as well as speeding up the planning process for those schemes which are delivering more affordable homes.